Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Music

Hi again!

I was originally going to talk about my favourite books (from a suggestion on Twitter) but then I thought for now I’d talk about music instead.

In light of recent events, anyway. My friend Anne (I’m going to assume most people reading this blog know who she is) and I attacked my aunt on Sunday night and now Aunt Jen’s threatening to cancel my extra piano lessons, so I thought, “Why not?”

I started taking piano when I was four, I think, because my mom was really devoted to music and so was her sister Jennifer. They’re both very musical, but the difference is Mom gave it up to take care of her family, and Aunt Jennifer still pursues it zealously. She was my first teacher but then she moved to Montreal to teach at McGill University. Yeah, she’s that good.

I’m studying right now to take the Grade 10 Royal Conservatory of Music exam, and Aunt Jennifer originally arranged for me to take extra sessions with a professor friend of hers here in Regina. And then Anne and I jumped on her and she’s furious with me for being immature and irresponsible and she says she’s going to cancel them.

It’s so frustrating because this is the last exam I’m going to do and I want to perform well. I can probably manage without the extra lessons but Aunt Jen’s just being so unreasonable. She puts a ton of pressure on me to study music in post-secondary like she did, and now suddenly she’s dropping that idea because I jumped on my own bed.

Secretly, I think she’s a little bitter.

Anyway, music!

I really love it. I talked about it a little in my first blog post, I like listening to anything and everything, really, and I mostly play classical. At first I was just studying it because Mom and Aunt Jennifer wanted me to, but now I enjoy the freedom I have to perform.

I play piano and flute, but I prefer piano more because there’s a lot of mathematics involved. Nerdy, I know. But I love that you have to learn the rules (all the fingerings, intervals, harmonies, etc.) before you can add the poetic elements, which are the best parts!

Hmmm, okay, this didn’t last as long as I thought it would.

Music recommendations! Perfect. I use ThisIsMyJam a bit, but I’ll put some of my favourite songs and artists here!

·         The Gambler by fun: this song has beautiful, simple composition and makes me think about getting married. I know I’m only 17 BUT STILL it’s adorable.
·         500 Miles by Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan: Anyone who thinks Justin Timberlake only makes pop music needs to listen to this song!!!! That’s all I will say.
·         Change by Churchill: I listen to this song whenever I’m cleaning my room. It’s just very catching and energizing!
·         Ed Sheeran: My personal favourite is Tenerife Sea from his new album, but I really like his voice and song writing style overall, because it’s not too polished or auto-tuned.
·         Coldplay: ALL of their songs, really. They have the amazing ability to transport the listener to magical worlds.
·         Katy Perry: Everyone needs to listen to cheesy pop music some of the time, okay? I love Birthday and By The Grace of God.
·         The Civil Wars: If I wanted to walk around exploring an enchanted forest for hours and be melancholy, they would be the soundtrack.

Here are some other artists I like to listen to:

·         Kodaline
·         The Lumineers
·         Ingrid Michaelson
·         Taylor Swift (sometimes.)
·         Boys Like Girls
·         Michael Bublé
·         The 1975
·         Passenger
·         Landon Pigg
·         The Arctic Monkeys

That’s it for now! 

Love,
Diana

P.S. I promise I will write a blog about book recommendations!
P.P.S I wish I could tell you about more interesting life events but nothing ever seems to happen to me.
P.P.S. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better blog title? I cringe every time I see mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment