Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Favourite Books

Okay, I was watching The Sound of Music recently. I know, I know. The title is cheesy.

I was asked a while ago by @DeBelle77 on Twitter to make a post about my favourite books, so here we go!

1. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) - I fell in love with this book when I had to read it in Grade 4. I love the descriptions of nature, Mary's character development, and the beautiful lessons about friendship and optimism. I've watched the movie countless times and it's still one of my favourites!

2. A Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett) - Okay, another book by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Has anyone seen the amazing movie adaptation? Again, I really love the message about optimism and how everyone can be a "little princess" on the inside.

3. The Book Thief (Marcus Zuzak) - This was one of those books that changed me. I found the narration by Death a little freaky at first, but it totally changed my perspective on how death and war shape people. And Death is actually pretty funny! I also cried buckets, so there's that. I hear the movie is a really good adaptation, so I want to watch it soon.

4. Allegiant (Veronica Roth): I know the ending was so controversial for readers, but SPOILERS I loved Tris' sacrifice. I don't think the series could have ended any other way. She gave herself up in a perfect combination of Dauntless bravery and Abnegation selflessness. It was beautiful, and I cried. As usual, with sad books involving death. I liked the first two books as well (Divergent and Insurgent) but Allegiant really was my favourite.

5. Entwined (Heather Dixon) - This book is an adaptation of the 12 dancing sisters fairytale- I don't remember the original story too well, but this book is just so cute! Friendship, romance, dancing, magic- all the good things in life and literature.

6. Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine) - Okay, can we just talk about how perfect this book is? It won a Newbery Honour, okay? It seems inspired by Cinderella at first but it's almost unrecognizable from the original, somewhat dry fairytale. Ella is spunky and courageous and hilarious and she takes control of her own destiny. I love the character of Char (love interest) but that's hardly the focus of the story. Instead, it's about Ella finding her voice and becoming independent, by ending her curse. Ella is one of those heroines who inspires me (not to disobey my parents, or anything) but to be confident and proactive. And also not to listen to authority blindly. Gail Carson Levine has a very unique writing style, it's witty and light but sufficiently descriptive to inform the reader, yet some passages can be just as heartbreaking. Can you tell I love this book?

7. The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer)- I never really liked epistolary novels (that's what they're called, right?) until I read this book. And then, as with so many other good books about magic and romance and Regency England, I fell in love. Witty dialogue and scandalous escapades, blackmail, sorcery, and handkerchiefs.

8. I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)- A librarian recommended this to me and I really enjoyed it! It was a bit slow to start off, but it's so quirky and unusual I had to keep reading. I love hearing about how Rose and Cassandra and Topaz improvise with the few resources they have to get by- how they make a dining room table out of trestles and a door, dying things green, etc.

Let me know if you've read any of these!

Love,
Diana



2 comments:

  1. I've read The Book Thief - it is an amazing book and I love it! I can only recommend Zusak's other book, The Messenger. It was pretty awesome, too. :)

    I haven't read Allegiant yet, but I want to. I've already read Divergent and Insurgent and I couldn't stop. :D :D They're perfect!

    I don't know anything about the other books, but I've seen adaptations of The Secret Garden (starring Maggie Smith) and Ella Enchanted (Anne Hathaway was really adorable in that movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana! :) i love The Secret Garden and The Little Princes. And Ella Enchanted has got to be one of my favourite books ever! The book was better than the movie but both were awesome. I will check out the other books u listed bc it seems like u have awesome taste. Check out Once upon a Marigold if u havent read it already!

    ReplyDelete